20130718

May It Be Hidden

A couple of years ago, I came across a sermon by John Piper and I was convicted.  Not since participating in the Word of Life discipleship program had I dedicatedly strived to memorize Scripture.  Looking back I see years filled with wasted time and wonder how different things could be in my life now had I taken just 15-20 minutes a day to focus on hiding God's Word in my heart.

I have this difficulty with memorizing things: it doesn't come easily when it should be verbatim.  At this point in my life (well, maybe after August 16) I think I'd do well to scrap English altogether and dedicate myself to knowing Hebrew.  But, alas, that is not the language in which I learned to speak or think, so there could be some other difficulties with that.

I am so blessed to be literate and have multiple copies and versions of the Bible available to me.  That freedom won't last forever, and I want to have hidden as much of the Word as I can hide.
A while back, my dad read to me a portion of The Heavenly Man in which Brother Yun shared a testimony of one of his times in jail.  Brother Yun had hungered for the Word after his conversion at 16 years old, and when he was finally able to get his own Bible, after reading all of it, he memorized the book of Matthew.  Later, during one of his imprisonments, he started witnessing to his fellow prisoners by quoting the entire book of Matthew.  The response was men sobbing, repenting of their sin and confessing Christ as Savior!

May I be found faithful in stewarding what I have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment